Boat Insurance - any tips to find and reduce houseboat insurance premiums
Boat Insurance, we'd like to insure our houseboat
We're looking for some boat insurance, and we wonder if you have any tips to help get our houseboat insured? We have been getting different results from most marine insurance companies.
Some companies are saying that they don't insure house boats, others say that we need a recent marine survey, while others are quoting really high premiums.
We just bought a 55 foot aluminum houseboat from an elderly gentleman who had to sell because of health reasons. Now that the sale is finished, we'd like to get the boat insured as spring is here.
Any tips to help us out would be greatly appreciated,
John from Missouri.Reply - Answer
Well John, you didn't mention what type or age of houseboat, so I can't give any specific details, but here are some pointers to help:
1) Insurance policy premiums are based on value, coverage, and element of risk.
2) Sometimes less value or older houseboats can be just as expensive to insure as newer more expensive boats.
3) Generally speaking, the majority of marine insurance companies will want a recent marine survey to evaluate the condition and value of the vessel.
4) With a knowledgeable friend, you can do a preliminary inspection of your boat before getting a survey done, and repair or reduce any survey recommendations that may occur before actually having the boat surveyed.
5) In regards to your boating experience, be sure to mention any boating courses like Power Squadron to your insurance agent. It may also reduce your premiums.
6) If you're looking for more tips, here's an article with some good houseboat insurance sources and quick quotes.Lastly
, hopefully some of our readers and visitors will share and post comments about their houseboat insurance experiences or difficulties.
Feel free to use the "Click here to post comments." link found near the bottom of this page.
Thanks again for sharing, IAN - from www.all-about-houseboats.com
If you're still looking for information, you can try our search function
, found at the bottom of the left Nav bar.
Free Bonus OfferTo show our deep appreciation to all of our readers and visitors, here is the link to our free houseboat magazine, the INSIDER
Go ahead and sign-up, it's free and filled with great articles, tips, and information.
Don't worry, your email is safe with us.