Course How To

Houseboat Electrical Power Distribution - circuit breaker panels on house boats

Houseboat Electrical Distribution - circuit breaker panels

Houseboat Electrical Distribution - circuit breaker panels

When it comes to houseboat electrical power distribution, there's a big AC/DC circuit breaker panel on our Sumerset houseboat.

This year we purchased a 1990 Sumerset houseboat and upon suggestion by Sumerset we purchased the "owners manual" they published around 2007 but such did not answer a number of our questions.

We hope you or your readers can help as we have not found a way to gain any further knowledge about our boat.

There are several "bulbs, lamps or LED's" on the circuit panel (picture attached) that no longer light when the circuit is active. Can these be replaced from the outside by a "do-it-yourselfer" by twisting off?

I have not had any luck securing answers regarding our older model houseboat and would be interested to know if there is anyone knowledgeable who is willing to help!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertise Houseboat Business Advertising
You can advertise here for pennies a day!
Are you a boating related business and want to
increase sales and profits with targeted traffic?
Act now to get our 1/2 price sale, limited offer

Reply - Answer
Well, congratulations on your Sumerset houseboat purchase, as they are some of the finest boats in the industry.

You can find replacement lamps, bulbs, LED's for distribution panels here, and they can be replaced by a knowledgeable DIY (do-it-yourselfer) who disconnects all the electrical power to the panel before hand.

NEVER work on live AC electrical circuits, so if you're not comfortable with the project, I would recommend finding a qualified marine mechanic to do it for you.

Now, before changing the bulbs or lamps on the panel, first identify if those circuits are actually active, installed, or defective?

For folks with new installations, remodels, or refurbish projects, you may end up needing to find AC or DC electrical distribution panels, parts, breakers, labels, and switches, for the popular makes and brands.

Lastly, hopefully some of our readers and visitors will share and post comments about their houseboat electrical panel tips and experiences. Feel free to use the "Click here to post comments." link found near the bottom of this page.

Thanks again for sharing, IAN from all-about-houseboats

Free Bonus Offer

To show our deep appreciation to all of our readers and visitors, here is the link to our free houseboat magazine, the INSIDER. Go ahead click the book and sign-up, it's free and filled with great articles, tips, information and website updates.

free Houseboat Magazine - The Houseboat Insider

Comments for Houseboat Electrical Power Distribution - circuit breaker panels on house boats

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Wow...need the help too
by: Anonymous

I posted the "can't find the 12 volt fuse box"....someone please help me here...otherwise I have to run new wire to the bilge...ooof, and then what do I do when the Nav or other 12 volt systems stop...whoever heard of a boat without a fuse box?
1980 35' SplendorCraft HB,..thanks for helping him.

Houseboat Parts - More information - answer found
by: Originator of the Question

The bulb are not replaceable; rather, it is a one piece item with a built in bulb, holder and two wires that attach inside the electrical panel. For my Sumerset Houseboat the part # is 1850-1-10-20320 and can be purchased for around $2.55 each by calling 800-421-8855 (Electroswitch Electronic Products).

It apparently cannot be purchased directly from the maker SoLiCo (Sorenson Lighted Controls) at . The website, however, can help you determine what you might need in terms of part number.

Thank you
by: Originator of the question

Dear Old Houseboater ... Thanks so much for your explanation! The information you gave is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Replacement indicator lights
by: Old Houseboater

The panel shown in the picture contains indicator lights that press in the panel. They are about an inch and a quarter long and have wire ends.

Shut off the power and remove one of the lights and take it to an industrial electrical supply store. You won't find them at HD or Lowes. They come in a variety of colors. If you have any that are not shining steadly replace those as well as the dead ones.

I suggest you replace with the same lights as the original. The led units are brighter and are distracting. Radio Shack used to carry them but I don't think they do any longer.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Houseboat Parts and Accessories Reviews.

Continue Reading Our Popular Pages

Our collection of houseboat ebooks

Ebook Boats Collection on Houseboat Books

We just love houseboats, do you?
Join our monthly HB Insider for free

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.